Temporary Relief After You Have Filed For Divorce

When parties are considering filing for divorce, sometimes they worry about what will happen to them after the case begins. What if the other spouse moves out and refuses to contribute to the rent, mortgage, and other household expenses? What if the spouse refuses to help pay for the children’s costs? What if the spouse begins taking money out of joint accounts to “prepare” for divorce? Illinois courts have procedures in place that may help alleviate these concerns.

First, the divorce case must be filed with the court. After a divorce is filed, a party may ask the court for a temporary order to address any problems that have arisen. The court may order a party to continue paying for a portion of household expenses. The court typically orders a parent who does not have primary possession of the children to pay temporary child support. A spouse can also seek an order of temporary maintenance, formerly known as alimony. The court can also “freeze” bank accounts to prevent parties from withdrawing money. The court is granted liberal powers to enter temporary orders.

It is important to note that these orders are temporary, meaning that they are effective during the case. If a party wants the relief in the temporary order to continue after the divorce, then that party needs to make sure that the final order, often known as the Judgment for Dissolution of Marriage, addresses the issues in the temporary order.

Illinois courts can also enter temporary orders regarding children and child custody. The court can enter temporary child custody orders granting legal decision-making power and/or possession to one or both of the parents. The court may also enter a temporary visitation order. If one parent is saying derogatory things to a child about the other parent, the court can issue an order barring that kind of behavior.

The timing in obtaining a temporary order can be important.

Recent Post

Addiction and Child Custody Cases in Illinois

Addiction is understandably a sensitive subject when parents disagree about how they will care for their children.  Whether it is the mother or the father, or both, who have addiction issues, the court’s primary objective in these cases remains the best...

Illinois Child Support: A Comprehensive Guide

Navigating the complexities of child support in Illinois can be a daunting task for many parents. Whether you are going through a divorce or seeking to understand your obligations or entitlements, having accurate information and good legal counsel crucial. In this...

Key Differences Between Illinois Prenups and Post-nups

Illinois Premarital Agreements Most people have heard of premarital agreements (often referred to as "prenups").  The law defines prenups as contracts drafted and signed by a couple prior to their marriage.  Illinois has a statute, known as the Illinois Uniform...

Divorced Parents Disagree over Covid Vaccines

Now that Covid vaccines are approved for children that are 12 years of age and older, some Chicago divorced parents disagree over Covid vaccines. Specifically, some divorced parents disagree as to whether their children should receive the vaccine.  Some parents...


If you are looking for legal advice and representation with an Illinois divorce, schedule a consultation with experienced Chicago divorce attorney, Tanya Witt, at (312) 500-5400 or info@thewittlawfirm.com.

Representing men and women in Chicago divorce and child custody cases.

This blog does not constitute legal advice. Please consult with an attorney regarding your specific case.